Leeds LGBT Literature Festival
Leeds’ first LGBT Literature Festival comes to the city over the weekend of 14th and 15th July 2018 at Leeds Central Library. The programme is packed full of readings (prose and poetry), book signings, workshops and talks by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender writers, poets and activists. This event is organised by Leeds LGBT+ Book Club in conjunction with Leeds Libraries.
Emily Metcalfe, chair of Leeds LGBT+ Book Club, said:
“The event aims to provide a space for LGBT+ people and allies of all ages to celebrate LGBT writers and works, increase understanding, meet likeminded people and help combat social isolation often seen in the LGBT community. “
Leeds LGBT Literature Festival is supported by Leeds City Council’s Community Teams and their LGBT+ Community Hub.
The line-up for the festival includes:
- Adam Lowe, Writer, poet and publisher born in Leeds.
- Jacq Applebee, contributor to bisexual anthology Purple Prose, poet, writer and organiser of Bi’s of Colour.
- James Nash, Leeds based author and poet.
- Jen Yockney MBE, writer and publisher of Bi Community News magazine, organiser of BiPhoria (Manchester’s bisexual group).
- JJ William who will run a zine making session.
- Joe Glass, writer of LGBT comic The Pride.
- Jordan Small from Leeds based “Be LGBTQ” who will be running a spoken word session for BAME (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic) LGBTQ people.
- Robin Clewer will give a talk on Literary History and Queer Identities.
- Sarah and Rachel Hagger-Holt, authors of Pride and Joy: A Guide for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans Parents.
West Yorkshire Queer Stories will discuss their project to collate local LGBT+ stories and have a Scan-A-Thon; an opportunity for attendees to bring their LGBT+ memorabilia to be scanned into their archive.
Emily Metcalfe at LitFest@LeedsLGBTBooks.co.uk